Technology and Engineering
Technology and Engineering is part of everyone’s world. Some people think technology is a series of abstract concepts and devices understood by only a few. Nothing could be further from the truth. Technology is human innovation in action. People re-design or “engineer” the natural world to fit their needs or wants. Technology and Engineering Education is the study of this human adaptive process through a laboratory-centered, hands-on and minds-on, activity-based approach. In doing so, we employ math, science and technology principles and evaluate their resulting impacts. A quick look at the Parkland Technology and Engineering course descriptions will reveal these principles and career exploration opportunities for future engineers, engineering technicians, architects, etc.
These are some of the experiences that students will gain through Parkland’s Technology Education program:
- Designing, developing, and utilizing technological systems
- Open-ended, problem-based design activities
- Applying technological knowledge to real world experiences
- Invention and other topics dealing with human innovation
- Working individually as well as in teams to solve problems